Roasted Chicken + Rice
YIELD 4 SERVINGS | PREP TIME 30 MINUTES | COOK TIME 20 MINUTES
- 4 skin-on airline chicken breasts
- 1/2 bag Congaree and Penn Jupiter White Rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 20 chives, cut into 1 inch "batons" or segments
- 10 sprigs of Italian flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely chopped
- 10 sprigs of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 5 sprigs of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, green tops chopped, bulb shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1/2 red onion, julienned
- 8 breakfast radish, julienned
- 4 lemons, zested and juiced, kept separate
- 6 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 4 fluid ounces of Congaree and Penn Pecan Oil
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F. Season chicken breasts with salt, pepper, chopped garlic, and half the chopped herbs. Drizzle a little bit of the pecan oil over the chicken to help the herbs and garlic stick. Leave chicken skin side up with multiple layers of paper towels pressed onto chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix all chopped herbs, reserve 1 tablespoon of the chopped parsley. In another small bowl, mix shaved fennel, red onion, chive batons, chopped fennel tops, and 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley. Set aside in the refrigerator until the end.
- Warm a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine chicken broth, the bay leaf, juice and zest of 1 1/2 lemons, and bring to boil. Add rice, stir, and bring back to a boil. Then add the other half of the chopped herbs, stir once, and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Once rice is covered and simmering, add pecan oil to a hot skillet or pan, reserving some for the salad dressing. One by one, lay the chicken breast skin side down in the pan. Once desired color is reached, turn over in the pan and sear the other side. This process shouldn't take longer than 3-4 minutes. Put the whole pan, with chicken skin side up, in the oven and roast until internal temperature reaches 165F.
- By now, the rice should be close to being done. Uncover rice and fluff gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Dress the radish salad with the remaining pecan oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve each chicken breast on top of a scoop of the rice, then place the salad slightly off center of the chicken, so that it pours onto the plate as well. Bon appétit!
Recipe by Chef Trey Hartinger | Photos by Stefanie Keeler